School Bus Safety
In an effort to provide safe bus transportation, students are expected to assist staff in maintaining a clean and orderly bus. When riding school buses, students are held to behavioral standards established in the Student Handbook, Code of Conduct, and the MWISD Transportation Safe Rider Handbook (available below).
The following safety rules shall be followed by students as related to boarding, riding, and exiting a bus:
- Students will board and exit the bus in an orderly manner at the designated bus stop nearest his or her home.
- Arrive at the bus stop five (5) minutes before the scheduled stop-time and wait a safe distance from where the bus stops. Three giant steps away from the stop is a good rule.
- When the bus arrives, do not approach the bus until it has come to a complete stop. Form a single line and board the bus (no pushing or breaking in line). Students will go directly to their assigned seat and sit in a safe position.
- Students will keep books, band instruments, feet, and other objects out of the aisle of the bus. Objects carried on the bus must be small enough to be held in the lap of the owner.
- When it is time to exit the bus, students will wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before getting up from the seat.
- Upon exiting the bus, students needing to cross the street shall wait until directed by the bus driver before crossing immediately in front of the bus.
Field Trips and Extracurricular Activities
All school bus rules apply to field trip and extracurricular activity buses.
Bus lanes are designated for buses only. For the safety of our students, parents are requested to drop off and pick up their students in the designated parent pick-up/drop-off area.
For more information or to visit the MWISD Transportation webpage, please click here.